For those of you who were worried....Yes. Kati, Stephanie and I are alive and well (I'm a bit shaken, but fine).....For those of you who weren't worried.....YOU SHOULD BE :)
So we were woken up to some heavy rain and small hail....I wake up and sit up.....thinking about getting up to watch some TV to see how bad the weather really was. As I'm thinking (about 10 seconds passed) the hail starts to get harder, harder, harder and harder....so I grab Stephanie and am running through the house to get Boulder out of his cage (in front of a window) and yelling at Kati to get up. We all meet up in the bathroom as the tornado sirens are going off......and my house alarm (due to the noise from the hail hitting the roof and windows)! I gave Kati the baby and I went to investigate (It's the science teacher in me :) Once we no longer had hail that sounded like it was going to COME THROUGH THE ROOF I let Boulder go back in his cage and went outside to investigate (and take pictures for my upcoming weather unit at school....and gathered some hail for my freezer (saving it for Josh :). The sirens had stopped going off and I started putting Stephanie back to sleep....congratulations little girl, you just made it through your first MAJOR storm!!
So after talking with mom and Kati we've decided we have NEVER had hail that bad or that quickly here (at our house) in ALL the years we've lived here! Folks, there are a few things I don't exaggerate on.....weather is one of them. This was CRAZY! I had a little freak out moment as I stood in the bathroom looking at Kati, Aspen, Boulder and Stephanie....I'm responsible for their safety and we only had like 30 seconds from the time the little hail started and woke us up until the HUGE hail was hitting the roof. We had 1-1 1/2 inch hail (quarter to golf ball sized hail). I actually went out and collected some hail (it's in my freezer)...it had melted some through, but there is TONS out front and back (I'll post pictures later). If we had more winds I would have broken windows....good thing is it hit pretty straight on and just the roof (haven't checked the cars yet....praying that is not something I have to worry about fixing!)
For my fellow science nerds...the storm is moving about 30-35 miles an hour so it was intense, but short :) 60 plus mile an hour winds in the "hail core" that passed RIGHT OVER US (we almost never get a direct hit from a storm!) and if you are familiar with Doppler radar we had "black" over us....it goes from green to yellow. red, various shades of purple then black....black is large hail, winds and intense rain....I don't think we have EVER had something come through so fast, and so scary! This is only the third time IN MY LIFE I have had to "report to the bathroom" during a storm....doing it with my little girl was scary....but I was quick and have gained some confidence in all this! TO all those who always say "we had no warning" I AGREE! The tornado sirens went off as I was half way to the bathroom.....and at that point the hail was already BEATING on my house. I pray there is no roof damage! Will go check it out tomorrow. You can check out some great pictures at www.fox4news.com or www.wfaa.com People flood local news stations with pictures from storms...I use them in class all the time!
When we have bad storms Roxy sleeps in her cage in the laundry room so she was already safe. Boulder listened SUPER well and followed me right into the bathroom. I grabbed Stephanie so fast it took her about 5 minutes to wake up and realize what had gone on.....she never really fussed though. She drank a bottle and is back asleep, sweet and peaceful (we'll hope I can leave here there). We have more severe storms...but not supposed to be as bad as the one that just passed over. I'm going to TRY and get some sleep now...not sure if I can, but it's worth a shot :O) Praying God gives me strength and energy to be a mommy today....So far I've only had 3 hours of sleep and she'll be waking up in about two hours...I'll be taking naps wit her today :) Much love to all and thanks for listening....I feel better now ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment